5 Steps to Create Effective Direct Mail for Omnichannel Marketing Campaigns
If it is good to see your message once, it’s good to see it multiple times. Omnichannel marketing campaigns are great for getting results. Here are 5 important things to consider when you incorporate Direct Mail into your next campaign.
PLANNING AND TIMING
- Clearly define your campaign goals and communicate these goals to your stakeholders.
- Start 6 to 8 weeks from your direct mail in home date.
- Be sure to include postage in your budget, can be up to 60% of your budget.
- Include measuring tools such as: QR codes, trackable phone numbers, campaign specific URL’s, coupon codes or specific call to actions.
- Ask an expert early on for advice.
- Ask yourself: Will you be using a house list, prospect list, purchase list or a combination?
- Consider the 40/40/20 rule when creating your list. 40% of the success of your campaign will depend on your list selection, 40% on your offer and 20% everything else.
- Develop look-a-like profiles.
- Append your data.
- Segment and personalize – speak differently to your segments.
OFFER AND CALL TO ACTION
- Not sure about your offer? Test, Test, Test.
- Make sure it is clear and concise.
- If directing recipient to your website be sure it has the same look and feel as the direct mail.
- Be relevant and timely.
CREATIVE AND FORMAT
- Test creative and get creative!
- Mix up the formats – direct mail can be a postcard, colored envelopes, unique folded self mailers, etc. Include a QR code linking to a video.
- Remember that Direct mail must meet USPS guidelines.
- Even the best creative cannot overcome a bad offer or list.
ACTION PLAN | FOLLOW UP | IMPROVE
- Create a follow up plan.
- Include triggered and/or automated follow ups.
- Do a postmortem – what did we learn?
- Ask yourself: What is the next step and what should we do differently?
Need help pulling this all together? We’re here to help on your next campaign. Call your Badger representative today to get started.